Not long ago I posted a picture of our supper meal on Facebook. Someone commented and said, “Your salad looks good! I feel like when I put salad as a side I just sprinkle some cheese and it’s kind of boring.” I totally know where she’s coming from because I’ve been there! I got really tired of side salads a few years ago but have rekindled my love for them in the last year or so. Now we have side salads at least twice a week – and it’s easy to make the salad an entree by throwing in a protein!
Here’s how I keep side salads from being boring (or gross!)
- I buy a different kind of lettuce every few weeks, instead of always having the same one in every salad.
- I keep lots of different toppings on hand and make salads to suit everyone’s individual tastes.
Some of my favorite toppings include (I never use all of these at the same time):
- cherry tomatoes
- feta cheese
- diced sweet bell pepper
- roasted sunflower seeds
- slivered almonds
- chopped walnuts
- skillet-charred corn (Drop frozen corn in a cast-iron skillet and let them hang out until kernels are lightly charred. Season with salt and pepper)
- frozen peas, defrosted in a colander under cold water
- finely grated carrot
- chopped fresh broccoli
I also really love salads with fruit – this is especially good with spring mix or any lettuce that’s not super crunchy. Here are my favorite fruit-style toppings:
- berries – strawberries or blueberries
- crisp, crunchy apples – gala or fuji
- clementines or orange slices
- fresh pears
- fresh peaches
- sunflower seeds
- blue cheese
- finely shredded parmesan cheese
I always keep the fridge stocked with several options for dressings:
- Ranch & Light Ranch
- Creamy Italian
- Balsamic Vinaigrette or Zesty Lime Vinaigrette – good for the salads with fruit
- Honey Mustard
If you’re not sure where to start, here are a few of my favorite salad recipes from other bloggers:
- Harvest Cobb Salad
- Spinach Salad
- Green Apple Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette Dressing
- Strawberry Salad with Avocado & Poppy Seed Dressing
- Refreshing Watermelon Salad
My Mom makes the BEST salads and has a whole section of side salad recipes on her blog. Check it out here!
Hopefully you’re all set to have side salads that aren’t boring!