“When you come into your home, it should give you a certain feeling. You get to decide what that feeling is.”
Although I can’t remember who I heard say that, the truth stuck with me. When people come into my home, what kind of feeling should it give them? I thought for a moment and came up with these words that describe what I desire for my home:
Giving our homes a sense of comfort, order or love definitely requires action. In order to achieve the feeling I desire, I perform certain tasks:
- Keep the living room and kitchen clean and free of clutter
- Stock the fridge and pantry with my husband’s favorite foods
- Light candles in the evening
- Leave a lamp turned on by the door for late night entry
- Play soft, comforting music
- Prepare to have free time (even just a few minutes) when family or guests enter so I can give them my attention
- Greet my husband at the door with a smile and a kiss!
What feeling do you want for those who enter your home? What feeling do you want when you walk through the door? I’d love to hear how you create those feelings for you and your family!