Until a few years ago, I hadn’t attended many sporting events. Then Paul came into my life and since then I’ve spent hours inside high school and college gymnasiums watching him referee countless games. I always enjoy it, but there is a lot of down time during the event. I’ve learned a few tricks for keeping myself entertained during those times, as well as ways to make the time more enjoyable. If your kids have just begun to play sports or if you’re about to marry a referee, I hope this will be helpful for you! 🙂
Here are the things I like to bring any time I attend a sporting event (items in italics are always in my purse):
- Earbuds: I listen to iHeart Radio and iTunes and watch YouTube especially before the game or at halftime.
- Portable Cell Phone Charger: Watching YouTube combined with the terrible cell service in most gymnasiums drains my battery really quickly. My portable charger is a life saver! (similar product here)
- Powder and a compact mirror
- Cash for the vending machines or concessions stand
- Teasing comb: Life is better when I don’t have flat hair. It’s the simple truth.
- Lip products: I always have lip balm, lipstick and gloss.
- A snack: “Hangry” is a real thing. I’ve found I enjoy double overtime more if I have a snack (remember, I’m the referee’s wife so I don’t care who wins the nailbiter!).
- Bottled Water
- Something to read: I try to always grab a magazine or book in case there’s absolutely no cell service.
If I was attending an outdoor sport in the fall or winter, I would also bring a scarf, earmuffs, lap blanket and extra socks.
What do you bring when you accompany your husband or kids to a sporting event?