I heard on the radio that this past Monday was “the most depressing day of the year,” due to the typical weather we experience and the distance from Christmas. It even has a name – Blue Monday. We’ve had some really dreary days here in South Carolina, a place that has the nicest winters I’ve ever experienced. I can imagine how easy it would be to become affected by long periods of cold, gray days, so today I’m bringing you a few tips for surviving the dreary days of winter!
#1 Change up your lighting!
- Open all the blinds and curtains first thing in the morning to allow as much natural light in your home as possible.
- Use twinkle lights (or even white Christmas lights) to create a warm glow.
- Turn on lamps to brighten dark corners of your home.
- Burn candles during the day, not just at night.
#2 Make yummy food!
- Have a picnic lunch in the living room – in front of the fireplace if you have one!
- Serve your favorite summer dessert, head to your favorite ice cream place for a treat, or make snow ice cream!
- Find some new recipes to bring variety to your weekly menu planning.
- Have a freezer cooking session!
#3 Brighten the mood in your home!
- Turn off the TV and instead, play some fun music while you prepare supper.
- Find a new podcast that you can enjoy.
- Pick up some fresh flowers at the grocery store.
- Choose an area of your home that needs de-cluttering or organization.
- Decorate for Valentines Day!
- Serve someone else – make a get well package for a friend.
- Find ways to enjoy the indoors with your kids – here are 10 to get you started!
- Have an at-home date night with your man!
How are you planning to survive the dreary days of winter?