This is a super easy recipe – it’s basically chicken broth, cooked chicken, egg noodles and some seasonings. The instructions (based on how I make it) are below, but it is not an exact recipe. You can add more or use less of anything to make it suit your preference.
The thing that makes this picky-eater approved is the absence of vegetables. There are no chunks of carrots or celery to give it a “gross” texture. 🙂 I’ve compensated for the lack of veggies with the seasonings, making this an absolutely delicious soup.
Picky Eater Approved Chicken Noodle Soup (serves 4)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 Cups cooked chicken – I use meat either from a rotisserie chicken or cooked this way
- 2 containers of chicken broth (8 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons Italian Dressing Mix – see note below
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 bag of medium Egg Noodles
Heat a stock pot or Dutch Oven over medium high heat. Add the Olive Oil, and once it is heated, saute’ the onion for 2 minutes or until it begins to soften. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
Reduce the heat to low. Add about 1/2 cup of chicken broth, the cooked chicken, Italian Dressing Mix, and lemon juice to the pot. Stir to combine and let simmer for about 3 minutes while the flavors combine.
Remove the chicken mixture from the pot and set aside to keep warm. Pour the chicken broth into the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook the noodles in the chicken broth, according to the package directions. You may want to reduce cooking time by a minute or two, so that it doesn’t overcook while simmering.
Once noodles are cooked, reduce the heat to a simmer and add the chicken mixture back to the pot. Stir and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper, as well as more Italian Dressing Mix, to taste.
- Make sure you use Italian Dressing Mix- not the big flakes of Italian Seasoning that come in a bottle. The packet above is what the Italian Dressing looks like if you get it at Aldi.
- Definitely adjust the amount of the seasoning for your family’s preferences. You can even skip the Italian Dressing Mix and just season it well with salt and pepper. I’ve also used the Ranch Dressing packet in a pinch, and it’s good too.
- My picky eater does not like lemon flavored anything, but he loves this soup! The lemon juice brightens the soup and balances the other flavors without making the soup taste lemony.
- The green flecks you see in my photos are dried parsley flakes I use to garnish the soup.
More Picky Eater Approved Recipes:
If you try this recipe, let me know what your picky eaters (and your regular eaters) think! ❤
4 thoughts on “Chicken Noodle Soup: Picky Eater Approved”
Looks good, but I’d still slip a few veggies in here!
That’s the best thing about homemade meals – you can customize them however you want. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yum! My crew loves homemade chicken noodle soup. I never thought to use Italian dressing as seasoning in it. I’m making chili this week but will have to do chicken noodle soup next.
It gives the soup such good flavor – I hope your family likes it as much as we do! 🙂