My Gramma was a funny lady. She hated washing her hair. Gramma got her hair cut and styled once every few weeks, and in the mean time she’d wash it as little as possible – because styling it was such a chore to her. She was even known to sleep propped up on the couch so her hair wouldn’t get smooshed during the night! To say my Grandmother dreaded washing and styling her hair is an understatement.
Is there a household chore that you dread or even hate? Instead of putting it off until it is a huge mess (like my Grandmother’s matted hairdo), I want to challenge you to find a way to make it a little more pleasant.
Here’s my example. I have been in charge of emptying the cat’s litter box my entire life (or so it seems). It’s gross. And I’ve been doing it forever. It was the last thing I’d do before going to bed at night. We would finish whatever show we were watching on TV and my husband would head for bed. But not me. I still had to empty that stupid litter box.
And then I had a revelation. Why not empty the litter box in the morning? I usually stand around in the kitchen while I wait for the coffee to brew – so I decided to use that time to do my dreaded chore! When I’m done, it’s time for coffee and I don’t have it hanging over my head all day.
Here are a few more suggestions to help with those dreaded chores:
- Watch Netflix or YouTube while folding laundry
- Play fun music while mopping or dusting
- Get your kids involved (why do you think I had to empty the litter box as a child? Ha!)
- Change the time of day when the chore is done
- Reward yourself with something upon completion of the task – example: allow yourself a few minutes of relaxation on the porch after the dishes are put away
What chore do you dread? Have you found a way to make it a little more pleasant?