Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered. Proverbs 11:25
It’s easy to think that we do enough for our families as wives and mothers. Have you ever thought these words?
“I do all the laundry, buy the groceries, cook the meals and keep the house clean. What more do you people want? And would it kill someone to say thank you once in a while?!”
The verse from Proverbs I shared above has been on my mind a lot recently. I’ve been on the receiving end of some very kind and selfless actions from various members of my family…things that went way above meeting basic needs. It has really challenged me to reciprocate the blessing to them!
One way I’ve tried to bless my husband is by making a hot breakfast before he goes to work. At 6 AM. I’m not a morning person, and I pack his lunch and always make supper for us. It would be easy to convince myself that two meals out of three is good enough. He would be happy to eat cold cereal – but I know he really loves eggs over easy with toast. Making breakfast for him a few days a week doesn’t take that much effort, but it makes a difference in his day and is a way I can bless my sweet husband.
Here are a few other ways we can bless our families:
- Bake a special treat for dessert – maybe someone’s favorite treat
- Set the table with nice linens and pretty dishes for a weeknight meal
- Let your husband know in a tangible way that you support his career
- Put an encouraging note in your child’s lunchbox
- Take your husband’s car through the car wash, then leave his favorite candy in the cup holder (as long as it won’t melt)
- Text a family member to ask how you can pray for them that day
- Touch up your makeup and hair before your husband comes home from work
- Make sure you are well stocked on toiletries your husband uses (shaving cream, contact solution, etc.)
If you’re feeling tired or unappreciated, I encourage you to do something to bless your family. God’s Word promises to enrich and refresh you!