Everywhere you look, another Dollar General store is having a grand opening. Dollar General is a great place to save money, especially for those of us who don’t play the drugstore game. Many of their items boast daily low prices, but just like any other store, you have to be alert to find the real deals. On weeks when I need a few household items but am pressed for time, Dollar General offers reasonable prices with minimal time spent in the store.
I strolled around my local store last weekend and snapped pictures of a few items that I consider to be priced pretty reasonably. They were unloading a truck while I was shopping, so a few things I normally buy weren’t stocked or available for pictures. Here are a few household and grocery items at great prices:
There are lots of items in the store that are priced the same or lower than Target. Of course the selection isn’t as large, but when I’m in a pinch for time I find Dollar General to be a great place to pick up these things:
- shower curtain liners ($4)
- welcome mats ($5-$8)
- DG brand ibuprofen
- Swiffer brand refills
- seasonal decor items – especially when they go on sale after the holiday
- pet food
- canned vegetables
- apple sauce
- pasta sauce
- Suave Professionals Dry Shampoo (the holy grail of hair products!)
There are two things to keep in mind when shopping:
- Their coupon policy states otherwise, but most DG stores are very unfriendly with manufacturer coupons (ones you cut from the paper or print from coupons.com). My store often posts a hand-written sign that says they won’t take printable coupons. I don’t push the issue and just use my coupons at Target and the grocery store.
- There is one coupon they’ll gladly accept – the “$3 off your next purchase” or “$5 off your next purchase of $25 or more” coupon that prints on the bottom of your receipt. The $5 coupon is only valid on the following Saturday, but it’s good on almost anything in the store. It’s a great coupon!
Do you shop at Dollar General? I’d love to hear your favorite deals!