Vacation is one of those good things that must come to an end. I have three tips that will make your transition from vacation back to real life a little more pleasant!
1. Leave your home in sparkling condition
I know – packing for vacation and taking care of last minute details can be exhausting and the last thing you want to do right before vacation is more housework. There’s nothing better than coming home to a clean, clutter-free and inviting space! These are tasks I always do before I leave my home for several days and I never regret taking the extra time and effort to leave the house in a tidy state!
- Make the bed
- Vacuum carpeted areas
- Wash, fold and put away all the laundry (you’ll need room for all your dirty laundry when you get home!)
- Run the dishwasher and put the dishes away
- Clear the kitchen counters of clutter
- Dump out the coffee grounds and leave the coffee maker open so it doesn’t mildew
- Throw away leftovers in the fridge
- Empty all the trash cans
2. Pack for your trip home with unpacking in mind
- If you’ll be coming in late at night, put things like toothbrushes and phone chargers somewhere that is easy to access.
- Combine all the dirty laundry into one bag or suitcase. When you get home, take it right to the laundry room and start a load of laundry.
3. Keep the car tidy during travel
- Make a habit of taking all your trash with you every time you stop for a meal or bathroom break
- Keep toys, snacks and entertainment equipment in a bin or large bag when they aren’t in use
Do you have vacation plans for the summer? I hope you’ll be able to enjoy the vacation and the return home!
14 thoughts on “Making It Easier to Come Home From Vacation”
We travel alike! You are a girl after my own heart for sure!! Leaving our home as spotless as possible is a must for me. Nothing is more welcoming after a long return trip than walking into a tidy home. 🙂 We always keep a bag in our car designated for garbage to get rid of at each stop too. Great post, as usual you’re full of helpful tips! 😉
I agree 100% with your list!! I love coming home to a clean house, always unpack everything withing 24 hours of being home and we clean out the car and tidy up every time we stop for gas. The only thing I’d add to your list would be to buy some groceries ahead of time so your fridge isn’t empty when you return. I’ve found that it’s nice to have a few meal/frozen food options so that you don’t feel like you must go to the store the day you get back.
That’s a great suggestion! Freezer meals would definitely make coming home a little easier. Thanks!
Cleaning before you leave is so key. I came home from vacation once to a messy house, and I vowed never again. Love the idea of packing up to go home with unpacking in mind. I do that with a few things, but need be more mindful of it next time!! Great tips!
I used to work out of state during the summers – I was only home on the weekends. That got me in the habit of leaving a pristine house – there’s nothing better than coming home after a long week to a super tidy space!
I do all of these, too! 🙂
I usually only unpack what I can put away/deal with at one time. That way I don’t end up with a huge pile of luggage sitting in the living room waiting for me to deal with.
I also clean the car out right before we go on vacation. If I’m going to be sitting in there for hours on end, I like it to be neat & dust free. 🙂
Good point! Starting with a clean car might even make us want to keep it that way. 🙂
I find that #1 is key! After a week or so of maid service in a hotel… an unmade bed seems like such a disaster!
Isn’t that the truth? It makes a huge difference in the state of the room!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Oh Whitney…I do the very same things!! We must be kindred spirits. My mom always said that you wanted to leave your house tidy so that if something happened to you on vacay you would not be embarrassed for others to come into your house and take care of things. ( A truly Scotch Irish opinion as they tend to think on the gloomy side!)
It sounds like we might be kindred spirits! 🙂 I kinda agree with your mom – and I also like to leave the house clean when people are coming in to check on the cats. Can’t have them finding a mess! 🙂