This post contains affiliate links – I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. ❤
Even though I don’t have a traditional pantry, I’m thankful to have this wide set of cabinets that function as one! The way I organize them hasn’t really changed over the years. It takes daily maintenance and a periodic clean-out to keep them in good order.
I grabbed a picture from my Instagram Stories archives to show you how those shelves looked a couple weeks ago:
Not horrible, but also not the best. I took 30 minutes to pull everything out, throw away expired or unneeded items, wipe the shelves and put everything back in an orderly fashion. Here’s how it looks today, just a couple days after a large grocery haul.
Here are things that really help to keep the pantry organized:
- Make sure you can easily access the things you use often. That’s why the tall bottle of Crisco spray is in the front – I use it all the time and don’t want to move a bunch of stuff when I need it.
- Store things in glass jars – baking soda, cocoa and taco seasoning all come in ugly containers that often don’t close tightly. Keeping them in a glass jar makes it easy to see how much you have and keeps the powdery mess at a minimum. Tip: write the expiration date or the instructions on the label.
- Use wire shelves from Dollar Tree to maximize space.
- Put things back where they belong.
These waterproof chalkboard labels and chalkboard markers are awesome! It’s a simple way to make your pantry look more uniform. I also used them on the cereal boxes I store in the laundry room.
I did the same organization process in the bottom half of my pantry. Here’s the before and after from that project:
I take things out of boxes if it saves space – this works with things like granola bars or oatmeal packets.
It’s always a good idea to line your shelves so they are protected from leaks and spills. The top shelves are lined with contact paper, but I just used Dollar Tree placemats on the bottom. Super easy!
Could your pantry use 30 minutes of decluttering and organization? You won’t regret it!
If you’re looking for more tips on home organization, visit my Organization Index. I have posts on how to organize just about every area in your home!
- Real Life Laundry Room Makeover
- Decorating Closet Organization: Before and After
- How To Organize Paper Products