Vacation is one of those good things that must come to an end. I have three tips that will make your transition from vacation back to real life a little more pleasant!
1. Leave your home in sparkling condition
I know – packing for vacation and taking care of last minute details can be exhausting and the last thing you want to do right before vacation is more housework.
There’s nothing better than coming home to a clean, clutter-free and inviting space! These are tasks I always do before I leave my home for several days and I never regret taking the extra time and effort to leave the house in a tidy state.
- Make the bed
- Vacuum carpeted areas
- Wash, fold and put away all the laundry (you’ll need room for all your dirty laundry when you get home!)
- Run the dishwasher and put the dishes away
- Clear the kitchen counters of clutter
- Dump out the coffee grounds and leave the coffee maker open so it doesn’t mildew
- Throw away leftovers in the fridge
- Empty all the trash cans
2. Pack for your trip home with unpacking in mind
- If you’ll be coming in late at night, put things like toothbrushes and phone chargers somewhere that is easy to access.
- Combine all the dirty laundry into one bag or suitcase. When you get home, take it right to the laundry room and start a load of laundry.
3. Keep the car tidy during travel (you’ll especially need this tip if you shop while you travel like my mom, sister and I do!) 🙂
- Make a habit of taking all your trash with you every time you stop for a meal or bathroom break
- Keep toys, snacks and entertainment equipment in a bin or large bag when they aren’t in use
Do you have vacation plans for the summer? I hope you’ll be able to enjoy the vacation and the return home!