This is one of my favorite times of year to be in the kitchen! Paul is in his off season from refereeing sports, so he’s home for supper – at the same time – pretty much every night!
It’s so nice to plan a menu without having to choose things that reheat well or that don’t have to be eaten right away.
Over Mother’s Day weekend we hosted Paul’s family for supper. I set a pretty table and served BBQ pork sandwiches with chips and fruit. As it was Derby Day, I also served Mint Julep Iced Tea (a virgin drink).
For dessert, I pulled one of my prize possessions out of the pantry – a baking mix from Paula Deen’s store in Pigeon Forge. When we were there last summer, I bought a big stash of the various ones she sells and have enjoyed them all.
I used her Double Chocolate Ooey Gooey Butter Cake Mix and was so glad I did! It’s sort of like a cross between a cheesecake and a brownie. You can order the mixes online or buy them at any of her brick and mortar stores (Pigeon Forge is the only one I’ve been to).
Here’s what was on the menu for the rest of the week!
On The Menu
- Toast with Honey Goat Cheese and Strawberries
- English Muffins with Peanut Butter
- English Muffin Pizzas
- Mexican Chicken Nachos (melted cream cheese mixed with rotel tomatoes, ranch seasoning, cooked chicken and colby jack cheese/Tortilla Chips/Toppings: guac, sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, pickled red onions
- Chicken Alfredo/Caesar Salad
- Cheeseburger Wraps/Fries/Corn Saute
- Picky Eater Approved Chicken Pot Pie/Mashed Potatoes/Spinach Salads
- BBQ Chicken Quarters/Mac & Cheese/Southern Green Beans