Last week wasn’t very exciting on the menu front. We ate out for two meals (a rare occurrence!) and I kept things very basic for the meals we ate at home. However, I decided to make my husband’s birthday cake from scratch. I do a lot of baking, but somehow I’d never made a cake with frosting from scratch. Anytime I need an uncomplicated recipe I head over to SouthernPlate.com. Christy didn’t let me down…I combined her recipes for Easy Peasy Birthday Cake and Creamy Chocolate Frosting and came up with a beautiful presentation that was hubby approved! I found the icing much easier to work with than store bought frosting.
I put chocolate sprinkles in the batter to make it a little more festive. 🙂
We did eat more than just cake! Here’s the rest of the week’s fare:
- Cinnamon Raisin Toast
- Blueberry Pancakes with Turkey Sausage and Scrambled Eggs (birthday breakfast for my man!)
- Ham and Turkey Sandwiches with Apples and Goldfish
- Tuna Salad on Toast (We’ve been watching Seinfeld re-runs, what can I say?)
- Spaghetti/Spinach Salad/Whole Wheat Toast
- Hot Dogs/Deviled Eggs/Cucumbers
- Popcorn Shrimp/Salad
- World’s Best Chicken/Green Beans/Salad/Never Fail Blueberry Muffins
- Supper out x2
In the interest of full disclosure – I share my menu posts the week after it actually happens. I plan my menus on Monday, so it just works better this way!