In 2019 my family celebrated Thanksgiving a few weeks early so that my mom could help our Nana after a scheduled surgery the week of Thanksgiving. My sister and I never like to pass up a chance for good food, so we decided to get together again on Thanksgiving Day and have a “not-Thanksgiving-Thanksgiving-meal.”
We planned an all-appetizer meal for Thanksgiving Day and let me tell you – that was a good idea. Here’s what I’m saying: don’t pass up the chance to enjoy good food with the people you love!
Super Bowl weekend presents a great opportunity to do just that. Here are the recipes we made for that amazing “not-Thanksgiving-Thanksgiving-meal” which would be perfect for this weekend, whether or not you plan to watch football!
- Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Monte Cristo Sliders
- Slow Cooker Queso and Tortilla Chips
- Mom’s Pizza Dip (recipe below) with French Bread
- Pigs in a Blanket (Cocktail sausages wrapped in pizza dough or puff pastry and baked till golden. I recommend that you brush them with a mixture of melted butter and bagel seasoning before baking!)
Mom’s Pizza Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 ounces pepperoni sausage, chopped
In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, oregano, parsley, and basil. Spread mixture in the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate or a shallow microwave-safe dish. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese on top of the cream cheese mixture. Spread the pizza sauce over all. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and microwave for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
If you’re planning to make any of the recipes I shared here, you can grab the pins right here:
Need more menu ideas? Here are twelve more of my favorite appetizers!