Let’s start with this gorgeous grilled peach salad – doesn’t that look delicious? I saw this salad on a local restaurant’s Instagram feed and realized I had all the ingredients I needed to put it together.
This salad is simply mixed greens with Craisins, goat cheese, red onion, walnuts and raspberry vinaigrette. Toasted pecans would be even better, but I didn’t have any in my pantry.
For the grilled peaches, I cooked peach halves in my cast iron skillet for about 3 minutes until they were tender and a little charred. The warm peaches soften the goat cheese and make everything delicious!
My friend Whitney from Polka-Dotty place introduced me to her slow cooker turkey breast recipe several years ago. I’ve used it to cook a large turkey breast (5-7 pounds) during the holidays, but I decided to try it with the little 1.5 pound split turkey breasts I find for $1.50/pound. (I find these at Ingles, if you’re in the South)
For this smaller breast I only used half of the seasoning amount in the recipe but still made sure there was plenty of chicken broth in the pot. I’ve found that liquid is essential for slow cooker success.
I cooked mine on high for 2 1/2 hours and it came out perfectly! I checked it with my thermometer at 1 hour and then every 30 minutes after that to make sure it didn’t overcook.
The gravy comes together on the stove top. I made a roux with flour and butter and then slowly incorporated the liquid from the pot. I seasoned it with a little pepper and more of the oregano. Paul is a major gravy critic and he loved it.
What a win to have roasted turkey breast without heating the kitchen. The leftovers made amazing turkey sandwiches, too.
On The Menu
- Breakfast Burritos
- Cereal with Fresh Peaches
- “Grilled” Peach Salad with Craisins, Goat Cheese, Red Onion, Walnuts and Raspberry Vinaigrette (I cooked peach halves in my cast iron skillet for about 3 minutes until they were tender and a little charred)
- Leftover Roasted Turkey Sandwiches with Spicy Brown Mustard, Tomato, Avocado and Pickled Red Onion
- Slow Cooker Turkey Breast/Mac and Cheese/Southern Green Beans
- Shrimp Tacos/Corn on the Cob/Watermelon and Cantaloupe
- Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy/Cucumber, Tomato and Feta with Greek Dressing
- BBQ Pork Sandwiches (with leftover Paula Deen pork in the freezer)/Spinach Salad
- French Dip Sandwiches (recipe coming next week!)
- Supper Out