I LOVE mashed potatoes. I’ve even been known to eat them for breakfast. It’s hard to beat made-from-scratch mashed potatoes, but sometimes you just don’t have time to do the work those require.
I’ve perfected my 7 minute mashed potatoes using a spruced up version of instant mashed potatoes. If the thought of instant potatoes horrifies you, I get it. I’ve been there. But you need to try this method, just trust me.
Perfect 7 Minute Mashed Potatoes – Makes 4 Servings
- 4 oz. package of Idahoan Baby Reds Mashed Potatoes (it’s important that you use this brand and this flavor)
- 2 cups water
- 3 oz. cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a rapid boil. Remove from the heat and add the instant potatoes, stirring well with a fork or small whisk. Cover and let stand for 3 minutes.
Add the cream cheese and butter on top of the potatoes but do not stir. This heats up the dairy products before you mix them. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.
Remove the lid and combine the dairy products into the potatoes. If they are too thick, you can add a splash of milk.
- I stock up on these potatoes when they’re $1.25 at the grocery store or when I can find them at Dollar Tree. I used to be able to find them for $1, but I think those days are gone.
- You can use sour cream instead of cream cheese. I usually add a heaping serving spoon (around 2 tablespoons) of sour cream if I’m subbing that for cream cheese. Just measure with your heart.
- I cannot guarantee this will be as good if you use plain instant potatoes or any brand/flavor other than I listed in the ingredients.
- These potatoes are great served plain, with gravy, or loaded with cheese and bacon.
For a super fast meal, you could serve these potatoes with my mom’s Yankee Pot Roast or her Best Sunday Roast. Both of those recipes create a delicious gravy right in the slow cooker!
Are you a fan of mashed potatoes? I hope you’ll try this recipe and let me know what you think!
6 thoughts on “Perfect Mashed Potatoes in 7 Minutes”
I’m with you! I love mashed potatoes. Growing up, we’d always joke because my Dad’s family gatherings would mean so many different potato dishes – mashed, seasoned, cheesey, potato salads, etc. I love them all! I’m a believer that you can definitely doctor up instant potatoes. I can’t remember if I have ever tried this brand before so thanks for the tip.
I’ve never met a potato I didn’t like (except sweet potatoes). That sounds like the perfect family gathering! 🙂
I can second this, Whitney! I always use this brand and flavor of instant mashed potatoes, and they come out great every time! I usually do sub sour cream for the cream cheese, only because I always have sour cream on hand and I don’t always have the cream cheese. This is definitely a delicious timesaver over the4 made-from-scratch.
I use sour cream more often as well, for the same reason, but the cream cheese just takes it up a notch. 🙂
Measure with your heart! I LOVE that!!! I look forward to trying this recipe. Anything with cream cheese in it has to be yummy!
Right? Cream cheese makes everything better! 🙂