Pizza. It doesn’t matter who you are, if you’re breathing, chances are you like pizza. Right? This month instead of pulling a DiGiornio or Red Baron version out of the freezer and having a pre-made pizza 18-22 minutes later, I tried my hand at a few DIY pizzas! Here are two delicious pizzas that I made this month!
1// Blue Cheese and Spinach Chicken Pizza (original recipe here)
This isn’t a traditional pizza at all, but it was SO GOOD! I linked the original recipe above, but here are a few changes I made:
- I used a whole-wheat tortilla instead of pizza dough (which I’m sure would have been amazing as well). I sprayed both sides of the tortilla with non-stick spray and sprinkled it ever-so-lightly with garlic salt.
- I baked it on a cookie sheet under the broiler for just a few minutes, watching it carefully.
- I used blue cheese instead of goat cheese, and melted the cheese with a splash of milk in the skillet. I don’t like goat cheese as well as blue cheese, and blue is what I had on hand!
2// Tomato and Mushroom Thin Crust Pizza
This is definitely a traditional style pizza. Paul’s part of the pizza that’s not pictured had pepperoni and mushrooms. Here’s how I make it:
- Toss tomatoes in olive oil and salt, roast them under the broiler until they burst
- Saute’ mushrooms in olive oil, salt and garlic powder (or add fresh garlic)
- Unroll pizza dough (my absolute favorite is Wewalka brand) and lightly sprinkle the underside of the crust with garlic salt
- Spread a thick spaghetti sauce on the dough – I use anything that has “hearty” or “rustic” in the name
- Layer pepperoni, veggies and then shredded cheese
- Top with basil, oregano or Italian seasoning (it all tastes the same to me!)
- Bake according to dough package directions
Do you make pizza at home? What are your favorite toppings? Fresh tomatoes are my favorite!
My blogging buddies, Katie and Whitney, have also rounded up their favorite recipes from this month! Click the links below to see what’s been cooking up in their kitchens! I always find inspiration from the things they share.
There’s over a year of new recipe deliciousness on our Pinterest board. Follow us for access to all the yumminess!