I used my crock pot three times during this menu (which is from a couple weeks ago). My crock pot is used much more in the summer than the rest of the year – the kitchen stays a lot cooler when I don’t have to use the oven!
As I’ve mentioned before on the blog, I’m not a huge fan of the crock pot. I find it dries out the meat and makes the texture a little gross. The best way to avoid that, at least with my crock pot, is to cover the meat in liquid. I use either chicken or beef broth, depending on the recipe.
I also cook things at least an hour less than the recipe states. Of course I use my meat thermometer to make sure things are cooked properly, but I find that the standard “8 hours on low or 4 hours on high” yields dry, overcooked meat. That means I only use it on days that I’m home. It’s perfect for the weekend!
On The Menu
- Sunday Breakfast: Cinnamon Rolls/Turkey Sausage/Peaches
- Strawberry Peach Smoothies
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- Mexican Pizzas
- Crab Cakes
- Spaghetti with Meat Sauce/Caesar Salad
- Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken Nachos (I only cooked the chicken on high for 2 hours)
- The Best Sunday Roast (I left out the cream of mushroom soup b/c it’s so hard to find!)/Mashed Potatoes/Southern Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Rice (I don’t add the corn)