There’s a never ending battle that we all fight. It’s the battle between your clean kitchen counters and the stream of mail and paperwork that enters your house. I can’t stand having random pieces of paper all over the kitchen counters, so I created a mail sorting system that blossomed into a mini kitchen office. It really helps control the clutter! Today I’m giving you a little tour of my system!
I picked up that bright turquoise organizing system from Target last year. The back slot holds 4 folders and my laptop sleeve (in case you were wondering what that black thing was in the back). Here’s a detailed look at what each section holds:
- Bills to Pay: This is where I keep the paper bills that come in the mail. If I pay the bill online, I throw away everything except the bill itself. Remittance envelopes only need to stay if I’m mailing in my payment. I also keep a page of return address labels inside this folder for easy access.
- To Be Filed: This is where bill stubs go after I’ve paid the bill. If you itemize your taxes, you will benefit from this folder! I also put medical receipts, contact prescriptions and vet records in here as soon as I get home with them. Every so often I go through this folder and file the papers in my household document organizer.
- Recipes: When I see a recipe in a magazine (those things we used to buy before Pinterest) that I want to try, I’ll tear the page out and put it in here.
- Decorating: Same thing as the recipes – if something I see in a magazine inspires me, I’ll put it out and put it here for later.
Left Front Pocket
- Mechanical Pencils
- Letter Opener
- Dry Erase Markers
Right Front Pocket
- Multiple pads of paper: Paul and I are both list makers. We like to have different sizes of note pads easily accessible for to-do lists, reminders, notes when we’re on the phone, and of course…love notes!
- iPhone: my old iPhone holds all my music, and is synced to my wireless speaker that lives in the kitchen.
I also store my coupon binder and my two favorite cookbooks next to my organizer, for easy access. My mini kitchen office is extremely helpful in winning the paperwork war!
UPDATED: Here’s a video tour of my current system!