Meat prices are on the rise, there’s no question about that. It is really difficult to stick to a grocery budget when you arrive at the meat counter and discover that none of the meat you wanted is on sale!
Meat does travel a seasonal sale cycle – ham and turkeys go on sale during the holidays, beef is on sale during the grilling season. Right now we’re in that in-between holiday time where not much is marked down at all. How do you find affordable meat options? Here are a few tips:
- Shop the marked down meat – Ask your store’s butcher what day or time of day they mark down their meat. When meat reaches the “sell by” date, you can often purchase it at a 50% discount! Of course you’ll have to be flexible in your menu planning, but if you frequently purchase marked down meat and stock your freezer with it, you can plan your meals around what’s in the freezer!
- Learn to cook with chicken and pork – I love to buy whole chickens when they are $.98/lb, roast them and use the meat in chicken salad, soups and casseroles.
- Shop the frozen meat – One example: I bought a pound of frozen ground turkey for around $2 at Aldi. I wouldn’t use it for meatloaf, but it’s great in spaghetti, tacos and chili. Aldi also carries bags of frozen chicken breasts for $6 – you can’t beat that price! Here’s how I prep and store meat in the freezer
I used these three tactics in my menu below. The sausage I served at breakfast was marked down to $2.49 – and I had a coupon for $1 off one package! I used roasted chicken, frozen ground turkey and frozen chicken breasts for my supper entrees.
How do you save money on meat? Please share your tips in the comments!
On The Menu
- Scrambled Eggs with Sausage
- Cinnamon Bun Scones – these are wonderful and so simple to make!
- Deli Sandwiches/Apples/Fruit Snacks/Banana Muffins (For Paul’s workday lunches)
- Soup and Sandwiches
- Chicken and Steak Quesadillas (with leftover steak from my birthday dinner!)/Spinach Salad
- Baked Chicken/Mashed Potatoes/Garlic Green Beans
- White Chicken Chili (similar)/Cheese and Crackers/Applesauce
- Spaghetti with Ground Turkey/Spinach Salad
- Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Chicken/Garlic Green Beans
- Birthday Supper Out!
FYI – I share my menu the week after it actually happens. I plan my menus on Monday, so it just works better this way!