Does anything yield more leftovers than an Easter ham? I don’t think I’ve ever purchased a whole ham when we weren’t having company, so the ham I served this year for Easter dinner left me with ham for days! I followed my mom’s advice and packaged the leftovers for the freezer. Half of it remained in slices, the other half I cubed. Meal-sized portions are labeled and stored together in large freezer bags making it easy to pull out a little at a time.
Last Sunday I made my first ever from-scratch Scalloped Potatoes and Ham, using up some of my cubed ham leftovers. The recipe I used is below – it was not complicated and was so delicious! The leftovers of that reheated nicely, too. On Saturday I used some of the slices in Ham and Cheese sliders, another great recipe for Easter ham leftovers.
On The Menu
- Chicken Nuggets (Because Paul) 🙂
- Pinto Beans and Corn Bread
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham – I used whole milk instead of heavy whipping cream and it came out just fine/Tossed Salad
- Tacos/Fresh Fruit
- Bow Tie Pasta with Turkey Kielbasa Sausage and a homemade cream sauce/Peas/Garlic Toast
- Open Faced Turkey Cheddar Sandwiches/Fresh Fruit
- Chicken and Dumplings – I use roasted chicken breasts/Cucumbers with Feta, Red Onion and Black Olives
- Spaghetti/Naan Flatbread with Herbs and Cheese
- Ham and Cheese Sliders/Broccoli
I’ve found myself reaching for my favorite cookbooks a lot lately, probably because they are filled with reliable, accessible recipes and loads of comfort food. 🙂 Both the recipes for Chicken and Dumplings and Banana Crumb Cake came from Southern Plate, although I’ve made Chicken and Dumplings so many times I don’t need to even glance at the page!
My go-to dessert cookbook is Blue Ribbon Baking in a Redneck Kitchen written by a fellow Upstate South Carolina girl! It’s not every day that you can say the author of one of your favorite cookbooks has been in your kitchen! In the last six weeks I’ve made several of her recipes, including pumpkin pie bread, no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies and three batches of chocolate chip cookies. Three batches. They’re amazing.
Happy Meal Planning!