The last twelve months of my life have been spent working in a high-end home furnishings retail job. My job wasn’t high-end (I ran the customer service desk) but the clientele and merchandise was high-end. It wasn’t my favorite job of all time, but I did meet some nice people and of course I enjoyed the environment of home decor! That job has come to an end – the store is closing and God miraculously provided a new job for me.
I thought it might be interesting to read through the posts I’d written as a result of experiences I’d had and lessons I’d learned at work over the past year. As I began to scroll back through my blog archives, I found myself overwhelmed with the things God taught me. I knew I’d written a couple posts, but I didn’t remember there being nine of them! As I said, it wasn’t my favorite job ever, and I went through a few unpleasant days (as with any job). The last couple days were by far the most unpleasant. I certainly needed to be reminded of the precious ways God was at work over the last year.
When I began my look back, I didn’t intend for it to result in another post. This might not be what you expected when you clicked on the title – but here it is!
9 Things I Learned From A Year Of Working In Retail
- He is a shield to those who walk in integrity.
- The ultimate benefit of kindness is that it helps me look more like Jesus and less like Whitney. (Also, giving women a genuine compliment can totally make their day!)
- God uses hard situations as faith builders in my life – so that every day I can realize that He alone is all that I need.
- People of all walks of life generally handle one thing the same way – not getting what they want. I need to be aware of how I respond when I don’t get my way.
- I get to decide what fills my thoughts each day.
- Deceit should not have a place in my marriage.
- People are mean. That’s why my home should be a place where my family is safe from the criticism, bullying, comparison and general meanness that is so common in the rest of the world.
- I don’t have to let my situation – whatever it is – take away the joy I find in doing what God has called me to do!
- I teach people how to treat my husband.
In high school, my church went through a Bible study called Experiencing God. It had a profound impact on the way that I approach my relationship with God – the basis of the study is simply that God is at work all around us, and He invites us to join Him in that work. I’ve made it a point of my life to look for God in every situation. Without His presence in my life, I have no hope or joy, so joining Him in His work is a great thing! I’m so glad I documented the things God taught me over the past year.
If you’re going through a season of unpleasant circumstances, be alert to the areas where God is at work. There you will find hope and joy, no matter the circumstances!