Last week I needed a side dish to go with our tacos, so I reached into the fridge for the container of leftover Uncle Ben’s chicken rice. After quickly adding a few more ingredients I had on hand, I ended up with a tasty side dish. You can make this with a fresh batch of chicken rice too, no worries!
I cannot stand for anything to be wasted. Not money, not time, and definitely not food! I think my Gramma Cunningham’s Depression-era ways were infused into my DNA, causing me pain every time I throw away leftover food. I’m always looking for ways to incorporate leftovers into other dishes. Here’s my quick and easy recipe for Mexican rice using leftovers.
- Uncle Ben’s Chicken Rice (cooked)
- Chopped Green Pepper
- Chopped Yellow Onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes – can use tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped tomatoes, avocado, sour cream and shredded cheese for serving
Saute’ pepper and onion in oil or 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add rice, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low for 5 minutes. Serve with your favorite toppings!
Add in some shredded chicken or leftover taco meat, and you have a main dish!
On The Menu
- Banana Bread
- Toast with Peanut Butter
- Eggs Over Easy with Bacon and Toast
- Bacon, Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches
- Mexican Casserole/Salad
- Hot Chicken Salad (it’s basically this recipe, with mayo substituted for the soup)/Steamed Broccoli/Baked Potatoes
- Tacos/Mexican Rice
- Greek Chicken/Texas Roadhouse Copycat Green Beans
- Meatloaf/Scalloped Potatoes/Salad
- Date Night
In the interest of full disclosure – I share my menu posts the week after it actually happens. I plan my menus on Monday, so it just works better this way!